View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Research Project!

Hi, all.

I'm trying to do a bit of a "research project" and could potentially use your help.

I have a 2020 SS with the standard exhaust and I want to swap it out to something else. While there are a lot of videos and such out on YT, they pretty much all lack at least one of the following two things:

- They are not actual tests with data being gathered empirically and in a reproduce-able manner.
- They don't focus on both external AND internal sound level comparisons.

Exhaust vendors will sometimes product videos that compare their own exhausts to each other, but these also have no sound LEVEL data in them. To me, there are three important aspects to an exhaust: How loud it is outside and inside the car, whether there is drone or not, and how it actually sounds.

In a nutshell, I would like to record a number of different things (cold start, idle, revs at specific RPM's, driving at certain speeds, etc.) about all of the different exhausts I can gather together to A) aid me in deciding which direction I want to go in swapping out my exhaust and B) help everyone else looking for actual measurable data points like this.

If you own a Gen 6 Camaro and live in CT (just because of proximity to me) and would be able to offer a car to be recorded, let me know. I am also sometimes in the Western MA area and that could work as well when I'm in that area. I expect that this is going to take some time because there are a variety of different exhaust vendors and types out there.

I would be happy to have anyone out there help out by recording their own content and sharing it with me to put it all together (we would all need to be able to use the same recording and measuring equipment to get consistent data).

If this stays a local/regional endeavor, I want to focus on the LT1/1SS/2SS trims because that's where mine falls. If we go national, then all cars are viable candidates to be included (although 1LT/2LT, LT1/1SS/2SS, and ZL1 would likely all be in distinct groups).

Since a national effort could make for a LOT of different combinations of things, I'd ask that there be no additional engine or exhaust mods other than the swapped exhaust itself (this includes no "tune" to the motor). Let me know the following info:

- Trim Level
- Coupe or Convertible
- Aftermarket Exhaust Brand and Model
- Axle Back or Cat Back
- Resonated or non (for cat back only)
- Whether you retained NPP, did not retain NPP, or don't have NPP
- Whether you have cutouts
- Any additional mods on the car's engine or exhaust (hopefully none)
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote