Thread: M6 Fluid change
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow BB View Post
I just changed my manual transmission fluid at a little over 4,000 miles. It was shifting horrible, even when the car was warmed up. Dealer says it’s “normal”, I say BS! There was a noticeable amount of metal in the fluid. I think I’m going to send a sample off to have it analyzed.

I refilled with about 3.5 qts of Royal Purple Synchromax - holy cow, what a difference! No more grinding, nibbling or notchiness. I can now shift with two fingers, instead of forcing the whole stick. Same what you want, but that crappy performance is NOT normal. Eventually, the gearbox will grind itself out of tolerance & become junk.
I couldn’t find Royal Purple anywhere in store but I did find a Amsoil dealer in the South Bay (Cali) I’m running the Amsoil Torque Drive and it feels a lot better than the stock stuff. Although as I said when I changed my fluid at 19k it was still clean... maybe I got lucky. Glad to hear some of you guys are able to remedy your shifting issues.

Again I calculate that 8oz as such
TREMEC calls for APPROXIMATELY 3.45L
3.45L is equal to 117oz.
8oz is about 6% more fluid.
I don’t know what TREMEC considers tolerance @ APPROXIMATELY 3.45L
But being 6% above capacity in engine oil 10.04q w/f would be .6quarts too much. BUT I’m positive that being overfilled with engine oil would have far more serious effects than a manual gearbox that is NOT under the type of case pressure as an engine.

That said. I wouldn’t worry too much on the 8oz. I’ll take my chances