View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I want to run with this retro argument.

All mainstream production cars derive their inspiration from a variety of factors. Of these factors, tradition is a huge one. A great instance of this is the Corvette, a car that has featured the exact same lines since the second generation.

Other cars derive inspiration from the competition. The Mustang was a compact muscle car with a specific layout. The Camaro was designed to best the Mustang, but it did so by using similar lines and features. Kappa cars are very much the same as the Camaro's tradition in that they were designed to writhe the market away from Mazda's classic Miata. Except for the profitability problem, this has been a great success. The Kappa sports cars are stylish cars based on Miata shapes. If they were constructed more like compacts (high rear, slanted front, less curvy, etc.), then buyers might not associate the Miata and the Sky in the same category.

When a car follows a trend and that trend becomes successful, other cars in the category will follow. The Mustang's redesign featured classic cues, and the Camaro will once again outdo the Mustang with an emphasis on both modern and classic styles. By merging these traits, buyers can purchase a new car with a classic feel—a great way to bring back a car from hiatus.

GM is not going retro without reason. GM is one of the best-run businesses out there. They know the American market, at least traditionally. Recent trends show that Americans are concerned about large utility vehicles, including trucks and SUVs, for their fuel consumption. That hurt GM because, traditionally, Americans bought Silverados and Yukons en masse. In fewer words, GM follows market trends. If GM were to bring a classic theme to the Kappa models, making them look like classic MG sports convertibles, I'm sure it would sell. Everyone loves those cars, so why avoid it?

I think all I'm trying to say here is that GM makes its decisions based upon market trends and consumer responses to those trends.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote