View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm not sure I can see all those vehicles being built on it.

Alpha can at best accommodate a V6. Without the possibility of a V8 having a Camaro on the Alpha platform is questionable. Sure anything is possible for the next gen, but I think if we were to take a poll here not many people would be in favor of a 6th Gen that didn't even offer a V8.

I've heard it is possible to shrink Alpha enough to build the Sky and Solstice on it. Then there's the BMW 1/3 series fighter. Make a budget version for Pontiac, Opel, and Holden, and you're looking pretty solid on volume.

I want to focus the idea on the Pontiac, Opel, and Holden version. Just imagine a RWD performance car available in coupe, sedan, and convertible form, just like the current G6, and a bit smaller. Weight below 3600 lbs (maybe not for 'vert). Base trim with a 2.4L making 180ish hp, GT with the TC/DI 2.0L making 260+ hp, and a GXP with a DI 3.6 making north of 300 hp. Wide tires, 6 speeds all around, strong brakes, and a competent suspension to round it all out. No trace of retro at all. This would be entirely moving forward and creating a new heritage for GM to have in the future. Sound good? That's what I've been craving for a long time now, and every so often I hear its been canceled or delayed, again.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote