View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Adapting would be brilliant. Putting the Sky/Solstice on Alpha (if it even exists anymore) would be the clearly logical choice. In fact for a while now I had been under the impression that there wouldn't be a Kappa II, and they were going to go for Alpha. But has anything come of Alpha? Not one single concept car. Sure Cadillac keeps talking about a 1 and 3 series fighter, and you would think they'd give the platform to Pontiac to get some volume savings. However, now the plan is to make Pontiac focused on rebadged Chevy small cars, mainly Aveo, Cobalt, and Cruze, so it looks like the Alpha car is out of the picture. And with the cancellation of large RWD vehicles, the phrasing was "Camaro escaped review (or cutting, or whatever) because it was so far along. I take that to mean that if it wasn't for being so far along, it wouldn't have escaped.

Also, you keep talking about how GM needs Alpha because they only have one commercially viable RWD platform and it is large, and they need a small one to compliment that. But is that the impression GM is giving? The message I'm hearing from GM loud and clear is that they don't really want to do RWD because of fuel concerns. As long as they're risk adverse (and what company exemplifies risk adverse more than GM?) then RWD is not a given. It is a risk and GM isn't comfortable with that.

Sorry, but Alpha is really personal to me. I love the Camaro and everything, but some of the retro-for-the-sake-of-retro, like the unusable 4-pack gauges and the bad visibility, combined with the large size and weight, is giving me second thoughts. I'm wanting something more forward thinking, something creating a new heritage. Alpha represented that to me, but I've gotten my hopes up so many times just to have them dashed that I'm really not too receptive of GM's promise of modern performance cars anymore.

As far as the Solstice/Sky:

No the sales numbers aren't large in an absolute sense, but when you're doubling the sales of the best selling sports car in history, you're doing alright for the segment.

What bothers me is that GM made cars that weren't the best, but were clearly just a generation away from being truly legendary, but now we lost them because GM made a poor manufacturing decision. Lame.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote