View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #49
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Has anyone added the ZL1 1LE spec handling suspension kit (p/n - 84352119) IN ADDITION to the lowering upgrade (84225254) and sway bar upgrade (84242386) on their SS? I would like to know if adding that kit would reduce the benefits seen with the lowering and sway bar kits or add to them. Yet another test set up I would love to see team Camaro tackle (or someone from our community).

Given some of the discussion on this thread, I'd be a little worried that this kit may stiffen things up a little too much, and make the car a little less road friendly, or was that more a result of the DSSV dampers.... I love a very stiff suspension feel (responsive, communicative), but don't want to lose road performance since that's where my Camaro will spend most of its time. I have some fun autocross and track time planned, but more just so I can drive the car like it was intended vs. part of a competition circuit. If I make it so stiff that I am losing traction on the imperfect roads of New England, it isn't a good trade-off for me. I am fully caught up in the add-on phase, and may need to be talked off the ledge before I make my car less fun to drive vs. more fun.

I'd love input from someone who has actually done this combo, but also fine with theoretical discussion.
I may be wrong, but I think forum member glenB was looking to install that combination: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

The nice thing about the GM kit (spring/shock/swaybar/link combo) is that they developed it as a package to perform with track times to back it up and it's a box you can check off when ordering the car. Seems like a proven and safe combo.

If you start mixing and matching different parts, you could easily make things worse. I think you really need to be willing to go out and track the car enough to find the deficiencies, then make needed part adjustments to address them. This obviously would require time and $$ to optimize (track days, trial and error on parts to optimize, etc). GM's got the engineering budget to go off and do this optimization at multiple tracks.

While the SS + handling/lowering kit is an attractive option, at some point if you plan to keep upgrading it might be better to just start with a SS 1LE that's fully sorted out from the factory.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote