Thread: Camaro SS MPG
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #73
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
@CamaroSS50, I myself went through what you're experiencing as my driving conditions are quite similar in the SF Bay Area. It takes a few thousand miles of running before the fuel economy of these motors improves. Also, that abysmally low 14 mph avg speed in stop and go traffic is largely responsible for the high consumption. FWIW, I have 3900 miles on mine now and there's a marked improvement in the 50 mile avg from 15 mpg to 18 mpg in the same commute conditions, avg speed 25 mph, hilly terrain too. Last weekend I took a 180 mile round trip journey, cruise set at 80-85 mph for about 70% of the time, and got a best of 28.2 mpg. Like some of the others have noted, the sweet spot is around 1600 rpm. You can check this for yourself if you keep an eye on the instant economy on a level road. Also, if you can get 93 octane gas, you might see still some more improvement.
Can't get 93 octane in LA.

There is a gas station not too far selling 100 octane, but the consensus around here is that is a waste (roughly $10 per gallon).

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote