View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Definitely curious to see if you can figure this out... I know with mine, there are areas under the tonneau and (especially) under the trunk lid that hold pools of water. In fact, I often find that there's still a lot of soapy water in those areas when I am drying the car.

One "test" you could try would be to do what you typically do with washing and drying. Once you are comfortable that the top is completely dried out (and you may want to check the underside in those areas too to be sure water isn't actually getting -under- the canvas), put it down. Wait about two minutes, then bring it back up. See if there's any sort of moisture in those areas.
I dry the "wells" where the trunk struts are when the trunk is closed, as well as all of the surrounding areas after washing, but not usually under the tonneau cover. I'll try to remember to do that "test" the next time I wash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Good eye. Those spots are right on top of each other when folded... so yeah likely localized.

Still looks like water/mildew type stain to me but because the OP said it's sticky, here's a WAG: Collection of soap residue after it got wet. Another WAG: possibly excess grease dripping out of the back of the left side latch (if that's even possible)? Would have had to have be pretty hot though and lithium does not drip ... which doesn't seem likely unless the car sat in the heat with the top folded for a long time. Or a hydraulic leak on the driver's side that sprayed oil.

OP, is there any evidence of oil/water spray around the driver's side lift mechanism under the tonneau?
Had to Google "WAG". I'll check under the tonneau for any evidence of a possible leak of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
Hi All,
Have you considered a sap from parking under a tree?
Is sticky, when it dries it has similar color.

Could get on the top unseen and then folded and smeared over the folds.

Sap may be a bitch to clean though.
I try to avoid parking under trees at all costs, so highly unlikely it's sap but not impossible.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote