View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #42
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
If you want to jump all the way up to the Cup2's, then I agree with above, going with a +1 tire is the best bet. You can always go at least +1 (which is actually 10) wider, but you can't always go higher profile -- especially on wider tires where the profile difference is larger.
I've now got 43k (or maybe 47k) on my PS4S and the rears are just hitting the wear indicators. I can still feel just a little bump on the front wear indicators. I am quite suprised they lasted this long. I don't do burnouts but I would imagine this has quite an effect on tire life for the rear, (I think this is why everyone bashes the goodyears since they come stock and everyone goes out and gets there new car and does burnouts all day)

I was thinking about buying another set of PS4S but I really wanted a drag radial. It is just really hard to justify a drag radial when your car is your daily driver. I just hate the fact that we have so much power to use that is useless in 1st and some of 2nd gear. When I had the PS4S new they would hold in first gear at higher rpms after peak torque and the converter coupled. However they still would not hook from a dead stop. I don't think we can expect any tire to hook from a dead stop, even a drag radial, without some traction control kicking on.

I just bought a set of Nitto NT05,I decided not to get the NT05R, which is supposedly the "drag radial". Nitto's marketing is all confusing since it seems like they advertise the NT05 and especially the NT05R as a "drag radial" that also can corner. Another reason I went with the Nittos is the looks of them, the PS4S have a really economy car, ugly looking sidewall that is really rounded, as stated above may help cornering.

The Nitto NT05 non R versions carry a 200 treat wear rating (160 for some weird lower speed rated version I can't find). The PS4S have a 300. Now I know you aren't supposed to compare tread ratings across manufactures due to lack of standardization, but I am hoping I can get a little better straight line traction with the NT05's, I got a 3.8 on the street with the PS4S, best the stock Good Years got was a 3.9 I think.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote