View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #32
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Just want to shed some light, both manual and auto trans engines (lt1) have afm in them. The computers of both have the functionality of engaging it, it's simply just not turned on or activated with the manuals.

Not sure why the op has a manual and says the gauge would change to show v4. I wouldnt think its actually doing what it says it is but obviously something is telling the computer to display that.

Afm is actually a really cool thing when it's working. The issue with afm is that the lifters that change length in order for it to work, get stuck when collapsed. Any time you look up issues with afm there's a huge amount of forums and posts of people that have had problems or issues with it. Most saying it's basically a ticking time bomb of not "if" but "when" it fails.

I have my car tuned and I'm one of the rare cases of still using afm. I no longer have it kick on as early as it used to from the factory. It would constantly kick in and out just driving around town at 40 or so mph. I now have it where it won't engage untill the car is going over 60 mph. When it fails or I have issues I will change it out with non afm parts but untill then I'm going to enjoy traveling and getting 30+ mpg.

So my take away from all this is be aware that the benefit of it doesn't come with out a caution or even a cost down the road, but don't be afraid of it. Just be aware.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote