View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I'm sure filters being screwed down rather than nice little clips is a two part decision and it has nothing to do with protecting your interests.

1. Cost. Robots can essentially do screw jobs, and screws cost less than clips.

2. Deters people from replacing their own filter and taking it into a dealer. Anything that requires tools will deter a certain percentage of people over the same job being done without tools. That == money for dealers.

But seeing as how this is chevy and not bmw, i'd go with #1 as being the driving force.
Robots aren’t driving these screws.

Engineers consider multiple things in these decisions. Cost, mass, investment, serviceability and quality among others.

As pointed out other have observed failed clips. You and I don’t have GMs warranty data so the engineer you are complaining about may have fixed a customer complaint and traded off ease use for durability. Or simply chose a lower cost solution.

But I also think your complaint is fueled by dropping the screw. I know not much is worse than spending 30 minutes looking for the fastener on a 6 minute job.