View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
My dash cam (Thinkware F800) can record about 8 hours worth before it starts overwriting.
Yes, there is a button that will dump 40 seconds of video starting 20 seconds prior to the press, but that's only needed if you see something interesting you want to save (like when I witnessed an accident). If you get into an accident yourself, it does that for you automatically. These videos are treated as "incident" recordings and are saved to a different partition on the SD card, and don't get overwritten.

A GoPro records until it's full and then just stops.

The parking mode/motion detection is great for when you aren't in the vehicle. Someone backs into your car in the parking lot and doesn't leave a note? You got it on dashcam. Not on a GoPro.

Take a look at Thinkware and Blackvue dashcams. The tech is pretty amazing. I have Thinkware F800's in both of my cars. Front facing in the Camaro since there's no place to install a rear camera in a convertible. Front and Rear camera's in the Highlander.

I don't know how much a good GoPro costs so maybe there is a cost benefit to getting one instead of a dashcam. Obviously you can take the GoPro out of the car and use it for other things. Maybe that appeals to you. To me, the benefits of a dashcam made it a no-brainer.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote