View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 05:04 PM   #38
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Thread Refresh

From Al's answer, I have a question for the forum experts.

Excerpt from Al's reply:
"For the ZL1 1LE, 15W-50 is the required track oil due to the increased lateral acceleration capability of the vehicle. It has enough of a grip capacity increase above all the other models that the added protection from 15W-50 is needed. The thicker 50 weight viscosity helps with oil pan drawdown when the oil gets hot on the track and reduces risk of pressure dropouts. For the ZL1, 15w-50 will add protection but is not required, as the 0w-40 was tested and provides adequate protection in a track environment"

I blew an engine at 15,000 miles due to oil starvation in my 1SS with the 1LE lowering kit, 1LE sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid read cradle bushings and Toyo RRs (40TW DOT slicks). I assume that if you approach the lateral grip of the ZLE 1LE you would want a more viscous oil, but does the LT1 get to high enough operating temps to get the 15W-50 oil hot enough to have good flow and not suffer oil starvation because it is too viscous?

My current plan is to add an accusump to deal with the oil starvation, but I am not crazy about that solution either as it could impact dealer willingness to provide warranty service in the event of another failure. I feel stuck in the middle of two suboptimal solutions.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote