View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #25
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
I want to say I am by no means a pro driver, or even semi pro. I have worked in pro road racing for the better part of 14 years so I have a good idea of the car setup....but like most of us we spend most of our time on the other side of pit wall.

This is my first Camaro since 1994 (which was also a 1LE), and the Shelby is only my second Mustang. Almost all of my other performance cars in the last 20 years have all been Corvette’s. Having a daughter now forced the back seat. Now that being said the Shelby has never surprised me on track. It has done exactly what I have asked it to do, and I never thought I needed to push it past the limits for a weekend at the track for zero gain and a possible totaled car....there is no $25,000 prize or girls and TV cameras if you win a local HPDE event. The C6Z I had before my daughter was born....it commanded a bit more respect as it could very easily over power itself in just about any situation if you decided to beat on it for no good reason and didn’t know what you were getting into. The 1LE hasn’t been on track and I haven’t really pushed the car other than a few blasts through the gears to see how it feels...no hard braking into a corner or sliding it around on track but maybe by the end of the year.

The quality...GM has (in my opinion) always been a step up over Ford and Chrysler so it didn’t come to any surprise on that. Again my Shelby has been pretty solid. No paint issues other than the dealer marking it up during prep which still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Knock on wood it doesn’t have the rear bumper sag that some have seen, but I expect I’ll have to fix that at some point. The body gaps, while I understand people complaining about it...and it isn’t an excuse.....Ford spent $$ on other things like a different trans, suspension, engine, and other parts to make sure it wasn’t a wheel/tire/decal package. Which GM loves to do on their stuff. It would be much easier to copy a 1LE off a base SS than it would a GT350 off a base 5.0.

Sucks you didn’t have the same good things with your Shelby as I have, and like the rest of us have seen the bad reviews and experiences. Same could be said for my C6Z too...it never gave me any issues in the 80k miles I put on it but others had dropped valves and broken engines in less than 20k along with other issues..

I do think if I had to choose just one, and it was my only car the Camaro would have gotten the choice over the Shelby.
Nice write up and comparison. I would just add that ford changed the granny on the gt350 because the GT granny sucks. The 1le doesn't get a different granny because all SS's get a tremec just like the gt350 so no need to upgrade.

You should time them from 0 to 60, 70 - 130, and 1/4 to see which one is actually faster, I'd be a cool comparison that doesn't happen often. I suspect the 1le will be better at stand still stuff and the gt350 is faster once they're already rolling at speed.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote