View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampslife View Post
SO THIS IS THE SECOND STARTER THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON MY 16 SS. NOW, THIS STARTER IS STARTING TO DO THE SAME THING AS MY FIRST ONE DID AFTER 2 MONTHS OF RUNNING GREAT.
There have been a lot of good ideas here, but the fact that a 2nd starter worked well then somehow developed a problem is difficult to understand.
I assume you will be taking this in again for warranty service.
I think you may have a sliding pinion engagement problem. If the gears do not engage smoothly, the flywheel and/or sliding pinion will wear, and this will take time to happen. Assuming you do get a new starter (likely approach by service), I would ask them to examine the sliding pinion for unusual wear patterns. They most likely did not do this last time. Probably just threw out the old starter and were happy when the new one worked.
Battery is worth checking, but that would not explain why a brand new starter worked immediately.
Heat soak sounds unlikely. Heat soak is typically a solenoid problem and prevents engagement. Sounds like you are getting engagement, then slow cranking.
Starter relay contacts can wear, but, again, a new starter would likely have problems right away if the relay contacts were worn.
Are you 6 speed or automatic? Clutch drag can be a problem in manual cars (clutch not fully pulling back pressure plate when depressed).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote