View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #183
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I seriously doubt that Ford is going to let the Mustang gain weight... IRS doesn't automatically mean it will be a heavier car. It's pretty much a given that the car is going to be shrunk down a bit (and that alone will help with weight), will it be 100, 200, 300, 400 pounds? Only the engineers know but I'm sure they will make it stiffer too. I seriously doubt it will be anymore than 300 across the board though. The word is that it is going to be on a S197 2.0, so they just have to improve on the current chassis which after 10 years you can pretty much ensure they know what to fix...

I seriously doubt that the 6th Gen Camaro will be significantly lighter than the 5th Gen Mustang. The V6 ATS is within 100lb's of the current Mustang so possibly 50-100 LBS's less for the Camaro (just guessing)...

It's more than anything with the next gen's going to come down to a few things:
1. Fanboyism/Brand Loyalty
2. Which Car is Personally Better Looking/Fits the Buyer Better (Subjective Obviously)
3. Which is Cheaper
In our conversation, I think both myself and tsnow was assuming both cars would loose some weight. But if it gains an IRS, the Mustang will undoubtedly loose less than what it could if they stayed with a SRA. So, by extension...I think all three of us agree with the probability that both cars could weigh within a hundred pounds or two of each other.

I would alter your list, though...just a little:

1. Brand Loyalty
2. Design/Emotional connection
3. Value
7. Cost.

I do that only because sales seem indicate that people who have no brand loyalty (and even some who do) would rather buy the more expensive vehicle (Camaro), even without incentives, for one reason or another...I believe that reason to be entirely related to the design and feel of the car when driving.

If Chevy does a good job again, like they did with this car...cost will have less to do with it than we all would tend to think it does.