View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #13
Bluebarchetta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I do a lot of endurance racing. We are always running the car right to or past empty. What you describe is certainly indicative of fuel starvation. The car will exhibit the stalling or hesitation after the corner, simply because there is already fuel in the lines from going straight, before the corner. That fuel generally keeps the car running through the corner. Once in the corner, gravity moves the fuel away from the pick up and the hesitation is almost always on acceleration after the corner. It’s how we know we better get the car in the pits for fuel immediately.

What you describe seems to me it’s not the fuel pump per se, as it was clearly working right before the corner, and you burned very little more fuel in the corner. It seems more likely to me something is preventing fuel pick up below X fuel level, with a given G force sloshing the fuel away from the pump.

I haven’t torn apart one of our Camaro tanks (I’ve had too many BMW E30 tanks on the shop floor, lol), to know exactly how/where the pump sits, or if there are pick up tubes involved.

I could be entirely wrong, but my guess is you have a fuel pick up issue. Could be something blocking the pickup, something defective within the tank preventing the fuel from returning to the lowest spot, or somehow the pump installed in such a manner where it doesn’t reach all the way to the low spot of the tank.

For this to be a fuel pump issue, it would seem that all 3 pumps would have had to fail at the exact time you went around a corner. That to me seems very unlikely.

Good luck to you, and please keep us updated.
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote