View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #36
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I think most people would take a base GT500 over a ZL1 for the same price (maybe not most people on this forum, but I would bet many of them would).

I'm curious - how about at msrp (assuming one could get a GT500 for msrp)?

I went with a ZL1 because it is near the performance of the GT500, 250 lbs lighter, and quite a bit less expensive. I like the interior of the ZL1 better than the GT500 as well. Honestly, my GT Premium interior feels nicer than the GT500 I've sat in because of the metal look trim/buttons, and the spun aluminum accents that my car has. Anyway, the MSRP of my ZL1 build is $68,935 with gas guzzler tax (shadow gray metallic, A10, CF exposed hood insert, Premium info. w/ Nav, and CF shift knob cover). A comparable build GT500 (essentially a base GT500 w/ tech. package and gas guzzler tax) is $79,695.

I understand for that extra $11k in the GT500 you're getting at least 110 more hp (more like 120-130 extra hp in reality), a dual clutch trans., a digital gauge cluster (not important to me), and a CF driveshaft.

However, the reality of the pricing is that I was able to negotiate a dealer discount in addition to the GM rebates that might be in effect when my ZL1 arrives (est. in March - keeping my fingers crossed for some decent rebates at the time). For me, at a discount below msrp+potential GM rebates, the ZL1 becomes a lot more appealing over the real-life prices GT500s are going for.

The GT500 is a beast no doubt, but you gotta pay to play!

If money wasn't a factor and I had a choice I too probably would go with a Gt500. Or I'd just get a 2019 ZR1 or c8 vette.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote