View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #48
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I dunno… Maybe he read it wrong, but there was a 2019 crush 1SS coupe on the floor and he said it was a butt hair north of 4500.

When my 94 Caprice 9C1 was still street/strip it was about 4200. That would do mid 12's with 400 whp and a T-56. About the same #'s as the current camaro w/ similar hp. So, hp/weight ratio have to be close.

I can't believe the aftermarket hasn't got a new pumpkin ready to go yet. Or a rebuild/conversion kit. Even a whole unit with a welded gear would be acceptable.

I found was an old thread on a 5K total rear swap. That was it, anywhere. There was something about Richmond coming out with something, but that hasn't happened.

The only thing you can do at this point is play with tire/wheel combos. With 305/30/18's, you should (as I recall) get an effective ratio of 4.10. I haven't checked the cogs in the 6060 vs the 56, but 4.10's and 315/35/17's (have to double check) were pretty good match on the b-body with the M6.

You'd prolly have to go 4.56 (all being equal) for the f-body with stock 20's to shine.

I don't know if you could clear calipers on a 15" rim might work. But, I'd doubt you'd still have enough baloney to hook on the street. The other thing is a 15" tire/wheel combo looking good in a 20" wheel well.

The only reason I can think of why there is a lack of rear end options is lack of production. The Big 3 combined are currently making less units than one did in the 70-90's.

You take the lack of units and sub-divide it by M6 cars, then sub that again into the actual hardcore peeps that would do a gear swap and I think that is the reason. Just not enough demand to warrant the R & D.

Let's face it.... the A10 is an awesome tranny, (I'm a little scared to go up against it with the M6 TBH) and not too many people like to row their cars any more....

And.. thanks for the welcome, junior!
4.56 rear gears would be a waste. The 1st gear on these a8/a10 transmissions is really steep. A mid 3 gear MIGHT make a stock car slightly quicker. Lots of us higher power guys take off in 2nd as it is.

I would have bought an lt1 if it saved me money. So far I have swapped out the brakes, rims, tires, removed the front swaybar, got rid of the rear diff cooler, one if the wing radiators... you get the point.