View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Dang, thank you for that analysis. Very insightful. I've already decided to switch to either Mobil1 or Penzoil Platinum and will do so at the recommended mileage. I dont think any overheating happened, this car is driven like a grandpa most all of the time and does more sitting than driving. I do run E85 exclusively and my catch can is always full of a homologation of something between what appears to be milky oil and possibly some corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Not me, but my car is stock. You can see my Blackstone test results here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9823700

On the bright side...

Lead is zero: so no bearing wear.
Titanium is zero: so no valve wear.

So it seems to me like it's possible your oil went acidic and/or got overheated and started to eat mostly iron, plus aluminum and copper to a lesser extent. Which makes sense for something that goes corrosive. It's going to eat what it touches, which is mostly iron, aluminum, and copper (in the oil coolers?).

Follow the above advice, and increase the oil change frequency. Oh and I'd suggest that you consider swapping out that Driven DI40 0W/40 for something more mainstream that has a nice high TBN to start. Driven's website is surprisingly absent any specs whatsoever. "viscosity typical of a 0w40" is all it says. IMO, race oils are designed to last a race with engines that are expected to be frequently rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised if the Driven oil TBN is "1" (or "0") straight out of the bottle. But you may want to reach out to them directly to get their input, because your #'s certainly aren't what they're advertising here: https://drivenracingoil.com/c-138934...tion-oils.html
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote