View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #22
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I don't remember if it was this forum or the GM Trucks forum, but someone showed a GM patent application for a "clutch by wire" system that was being researched..
I remember this too. And since the C8 launch, I saw an analysis of one of the big reasons a manual was a no-go on the C8. Basically, between the engine position, fuel tank location, oiling system, suspension, etc. there was no clear path for clutch linkage. Everything is shoehorned into that space between the structural aluminum of the chassis.

It could be that they're still working on it, and they just haven't nailed it down yet. It seems to me that one of the biggest challenges would be creating a system that could emulate all of the different speeds and pressures that your left leg is likely to input on a mechanical clutch linkage, and be reactive enough to really do the job. I mean, throttle by wire has gotten pretty good, but there's still a perceptible input lag.

I could see a system like that working well enough for casual driving, but having real problems when you started seriously banging gears. Here's hoping they sort it out.

As for the C8 Vette itself, my jaw is still kind of hanging open. The car has the potential to really change the game. The biggest surprise is that my wife went even more gaga than I did, and seriously wants one.

Looks like I might be setting the garage up to accept two cars again!
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote