Thread: LT2 vs LT5
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I have to agree with this ^ A similar thought hit me in the GT500 vs ZL1 thread.

The ZL1 as a grand tourer and with the 1LE track pack is such an amazing track car that does having a less powerful track car that isn't as good as the ZL1/ZLE make sense from a business point? As Blaq likes to say a track car that isn't as good on the track lol.

The 5th gen Z/28 really kind of screwed the pooch on a future Z/28. It was the top of the food chain, best performing track camaro.

I don't see any way they make a NA powered camaro outperform the ZLE. Yes they did in the 5th gen, but did it by making it 300 lbs lighter and were only down 75hp.

There are only 2 ways I see a 6th gen Z being possible.

Like you mentioned, a hot LT1 in a ZLE set up. It would be better than a SS 1LE, but not as good as teh ZL1 and would cater to the NA track guys.

Or if they just said screw the history and all the BS we spewed out with the 5th gen car and stick the LT5 in it.(which I don't see happening)
Exactly....

The real history of the Z/28 is basically what the SS 1LE has become....a proven road course handling machine but not as fast in a straight line as the SS. Would I be upset if they threw a hot LT1 into the ZLE setup and offered it as a Z/28? Not at all...

But if they offered it as the ZLE only and with an LT5? You'd probably have a lot of pissed of people looking to move away from Chevy....and I can't imagine GM wants that at all...