View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #792
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
So this is my take. First off, the motor is under warranty through 2023, so you shouldn't be afraid to just rip on it. If the pump fails it will be replaced. Second, and this is where I will get blasted but let's talk numbers. So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows. GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps (I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged). My point, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Go rip on the car like it's supposed to and like I said, if on the rare chance the pump fails, take it to the dealer to be replaced at no cost. After 2023 spend the $ and buy a Katech pump and all is good! I have a 2018 and I floor it when the road allows! I don't worry one second about the oil pump.
As far as Katech is concerned, they need to prove their design, material(s) or workmanship is superior to the latest and greatest 2019+ GM pumps. A rep from their company stated he’d post up why the original pumps were failing. Since then it’s been crickets. If theirs is truly superior, tell us why 2017-2018 pumps failed / what’s different about your pumps…(Katech).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote