View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #28
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Oh, I agree, N/A would be my choice too. I'm trying to get into GM's head on this one. Unless they produce an N/A engine in the 550 range, however, marketing the car will be rough. It would have to have everything the Z-1LE has, and probably a couple of extra's, or follow the 5th gen model and be a stripped down track car. Either way is fine, but the real issue is going to be pricing. They would have to price it where checking the Z/28 box is close enough to tempt both the SS 1LE buyer that can stretch the budget a little, and the ZL1 buyer that is nervous about paying that much and looking for a cheaper option. In other words, it would have be just a couple grand more than the 1LE and a few grand less than the ZL1. I don't think GM wants to put such a slim margin on the car.
They could easily take the ZL1 1LE aero and suspension, with the SS 1LE interior and a 525-550 hp n/a engine and deliver a killer Z/28. Two of those things are within Team Camaro's ability to make happen. One is not.

Quote:
If they make a Z/28 in this gen, and I think they will simply because we're only a couple years in, there's no way they're going to go another 3 to 4 years without another model to make some buzz, and in order to make that buzz, they will have to go big or go home. Big is going to be an LT5 powered Z/28 in the Z-1LE chassis. Whether it will be that stripped "barely street legal race car" or an ultimate track capable street car is the real unknown. Though I think the sales results from the 5th Gen model may give this car all those creature comforts we can't seem to live without.
Then don't call it a Z/28. There's no reason to. They called the ZL1 1LE the ZL1 1LE specifically because it does not fit the idea of a Z/28. Keep in the spirit of the badges or leave them alone.

Quote:
That said, I would be just fine with an LT1 in the ZL1-1LE chassis.
That's probably the most possible scenario but its a cop out. If Ford can built a 526 hp V8, GM could. The issue is they won't do it without going through Corvette first.