Thread: Lt4 blower swap
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #14
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
It would make sense the same blower/psi would make more power on the higher compression ratio, as long as you have the fuel and octane needed.

The lt4 supercharger is 1.7l so it is small and which means there is not a lot of volume for cooling. Also, the smaller pulley causes the rotors in the supercharger to spin at a higher rate (like all smaller pulley setups) and at the higher rate that can create more heat. With the additional heat created, and small volumetric area of this supercharger reduces the cooling capabilities and leads to more heat. So in this application the higher boost level is hotter and can be somewhat counterproductive as the heat created can reduce timing or cause knock. I believe ADM has done testing on pulley sizes and recommends the slightly larger pulley for that reason with these swaps.

I got my car tuned at Cordes Performance in Tempe, Arizona, they are really awesome and build a lot of the AZ high hp LS and LT cars. They have some nice fab'd stuff for our platform too. They didn't do any of the install but theyhave a tuner, NicD who is really great on the gen 5 lt platform so I reached out once I finished my install to get the dyno tune.
OK. Now I get it.
The stock pulley of the LT4 should be avoided, since it is too small (spins too fast) when working on the LT1.
So when you get the kit (Incl. Blower) from ADM (or WeaponX too?) they supply the blower with the larger Pulley already installed on it?

You are lucky to have a knowledgeable tuner on LT Gen5 ECMs and engines close to you
I think that I would have to rely on remote tuning when the time for my job comes.
I do have a couple of dynos close by, but I don't trust local tuners on the LT Gen5 platforms (yet). There are 2 tuners around who are very good on LS setups, but I am looking for experience and perfection on the LT/Direct Injection setups.
Unfortunately this place is "ruled" by EURO Import material (VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Etc.) and less GM/Ford/Chrysler. But it has improved slightly in the past 2 years with an inflow of C7s, SS, ZLs and CTS-V/ATS-V machines.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote