View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #82
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That does reinforced the point that people can't be arsed to plug in a car. To me, that further demonstrates the (perhaps conceived) inconvenience of BEV. There are probably some applications where BEV isn't practical.

Fuel cost is running cost for a company, so I would think they would like to minimize that cost if at all possible. Maybe EV just takes too long to charge up for some type of work. Now you can work around it with enough BEV, but that requires some extra work in coordination and initial cost of purchasing BEV.

And it's weird to think that PHEV that isn't plugged in can generate more emissions than ICE vehicles. Maybe more than HEV if we account for the extra batteries and weight, but an ICE vehicle is a bit hard to believe. Are we comparing the same class of vehicles? I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I would like to see a source on that.

And nothing is zero emissions. BEV and FCEV have zero local emissions. They may emit less but they don't run on magical unicorn farts. The engineer inside of me hate that term. It's five letters, not that much more work to type.
I don’t think it reinforces the unwillingness of people to plug in. The issue is specific to Germany which has a high percentage of company cars. Especially when it comes to electrified vehicles. The thing is, the company car drivers are typically reimbursed for gasoline and diesel used. They are not reimbursed for increases in household electricity due to plugging the car in. So, incremental electricity cost increases out of your pocket or free gasoline / diesel. No wonder only 24% of PHEV company car drivers regularly plugged in. The rate of driver plugging in is much higher in Norway and US.

Here’s a link to the ICCT study on PHEV. ICCT is the organization that broke the DieselGate story. https://www.transportenvironment.org...ution-claimed/

As for the comparison of ICE to PHEV, for same brand vehicles, the PHEV typically used the same basic engine as the ICE. So add the mass of a battery significantly larger battery than a HEV. Typically in the range of 0 battery in the ICE, <2 kWh in a HEV, and about 20-30 kWh for a PHEV. so when that PHEV battery is not in active use, it’s dead weight (a couple hundred pounds or more) that the engine has to carry around. Include the mass of the electric motors, the thick orange cables, and the power electronics, onboard chargers, et cetera and you have a significant mass delta that the same engine has to drag around. The engine works harder, resulting in more emissions.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 04-29-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote