Thread: Smooth Shift
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Another thing that helps a lot ensuring smoother shifts and helps prevent grinding or missing a shift under more spirited driving. This is just my preference and has always helped me but everyone has their own style.

1st to 2nd: Palm facing left and thumb up like he's doing in the video. This helps keep the elbows to your side and helps to naturally keep you lined up with 2nd gear and not accidentally go to 4th when you pull straight back.

2nd to 3rd: Palms forward. Just put your hand over the top of the shifter and push the back side of the shift knob forward with the base of your palm. This will drive 2nd right into 3rd straight up.

3rd to 4th: Same as above but grip the front side of the shift knob with your fingers and pull it straight back to 4th. This keeps everything aligned. If you were gripping it like 1st to 2nd in the video you might pull 3rd back into 2nd.

4th to 5th: Rest your palm on the shifter but tilt your thumb down. Top of your hand should turn towards you. This helps you push forward and away with your palm to 5th aligning 5th gear perfectly.

6th just pull again with the fingers straight back down.

Hope that helps. Again some people have their own style they prefer to use but the above really helps me shift smoothly and prevents grinding/missing if I need to shift quickly.

^^^^ this is overthinking it....
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote