View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #344
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Well think about it like this, the base ZL1 undercuts the GT350R and performs better in all aspects. So now Ford has to undercut a ZL1 but perform better than their GT350R in handling? That's a tall order. I think more than likely we will see the GT500 with similar base price, better straight line but no improvement in handling for the base car (compared to GT350R). An R package might improve the handling enough to best the base ZL1, but will cost more. Ford might just undercut the ZL1 1LE's price at that point, but accept a similar handling gap as the ZL1 is versus the GT350R.
To spin your argument against you then, GM was able to do it why can't Ford? I just don't think Ford would build this car and price it higher if it doesn't perform better/similar.
Also Ford has never had a problem releasing a much better performing car the next year for not much more money. The 13 GT500 was significantly faster than the 12 and the MSRP difference was only 1k

Now if the base car can't match the handling of the ZL1 and requires an R version that only matches base Z at Z1LE price, that IMO would be a total failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Well, I am not sure that is the most appropriate comparison. We are not even talking the same Gen when we look at Z28 v GT350R. R has no DSSV dampers, which are WAY more expensive than mag ride. Carbon ceramic breaks etc. The Z28 was an attempt to take that dated platform as far as it could go, and being as dated as it was it required massive tech to accomplish this.

The GT350R was designed ground up on a more sophisticated chassis. I just do not see a reason this argument is so important to the Mustang guys. I know for some weird reason Ford decided to chase an extinct car with the R, but that doesn't make it legit in any world but Ford World.

We're talking Gen 6 here, so what GM did on Gen 5 and how much it cost Ford to chase an extinct Gen 5 car isnt relevant in discussions on what it will cost Ford to chase an in production car like the 6th gen ZL1 or the ZL1 1LE.

So that is why I dont see them doing it for less than $70K. This time they are deciding(yet to see) to be competitive in the existing Generation and that is, for obvious reasons, more difficult than trying to compete with the last generation thats no longer in production.

In my opinion, chasing the Z28 with their new platform was low hanging fruit, that really only impressed the Blue Oval guys. We are no longer talking Gen 6 v Gen 5 comparisons, everyone else had already moved on from the Gen 5 Z28 by then.
The R also had Carbon Fiber Wheels, and a FPC engine built specifically for the 350. It didn't have the advantage of having an engine already sitting around. It also has unique front end. Both cars had their own list of pretty specific high dollar go fast goodies.

And the reason it keeps getting brought up, is because that is why the car was built.

You can sure as hell bet that there will be comparisons with the new ZR1 to the ACR, which is also no longer built. Now a magazine might not do it but the ACR will certainly be a benchmark the ZR1 is measured against.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 12-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.