View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #341
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
All depends on what route they go IMO. If they go just after the ZL1, you can bet that it will be in the same price range. Might be a tad higher, might be around the same. I think Ford knows what the price range for these car is.

Again I go to the 350R and Z/28, Ford set the MSRP of the 350R 12k less than the Z/28, it bested it in head to head comparison on same day same track. Had a engine completely unique to it, carbon fiber wheels, and Ford's first use of Magneride suspension. Some pretty high dollar stuff, and they still undercut the car they built it to go against by 12K.

Now why in the next battle do we think they can't offer similar/better performance for the same/similar dollar amount? Why all of sudden is it there is no way they can do it and the car will have to start in the 70s?

If they go my second route then we will see and all bets are off.
Well think about it like this, the base ZL1 undercuts the GT350R and performs better in all aspects. So now Ford has to undercut a ZL1 but perform better than their GT350R in handling? That's a tall order. I think more than likely we will see the GT500 with similar base price, better straight line but no improvement in handling for the base car (compared to GT350R). An R package might improve the handling enough to best the base ZL1, but will cost more. Ford might just undercut the ZL1 1LE's price at that point, but accept a similar handling gap as the ZL1 is versus the GT350R.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)