View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 06:43 PM   #36
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
No - not the die-hard carb guys. Thats a bad comparison/analogy. Fuel injection was a replacement for one small system on an engine and its better in basically every. Sure, if you have a collectible car that you show and want to or have to keep it stock then thats different. Short of that, there isnt a big "carb forever" club...is there?

You're talking about a 100% fundamental change to how performance cars will operate. Its the entire "engine" being replaced by batteries. How does a battery "improve" the driving experience? Ill answer: It doesnt. How does a battery make the ownership experience better? It doesnt. How does a battery facilitate upgrades, tweaking and other very much enjoyable hobby aspect of "toy" car ownership? It doesnt. Geesh - even on Camaro forums we cant get away from stupid battery stuff. Ugh.

Guess we'll just stick to our niche although I believe there is a damned huge following for ICE cars. It wont be a niche at all.
I think EV can improve on driving and ownership experience, but they are highly subjective areas that need to be answered as individuals.

Like you, I will stick with a stick shift ICE fun car. And note I said fun, not fast. EVs can do 0.1s 0-60 and it doesn't matter and is also frankly useless for daily driving. Granted, EVs are quieter and can get away with some level of aggressive acceleration more easily than an ICE sports car, but if you are going 60 MPH down a 30 MPH road, a cop will be able to tell.

Then again, for someone living in a bigger city with competent public transit, I am finding myself preferring that and cycling to driving an EV. I mentioned this in other threads, but EVs don't solve the fundamental issues of bad traffic and tough, expensive parking for me. Public transits and cycling have their own limitations for sure, but in downtown areas, they are generally not terrible options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Norm, that “character” is only defined by NVH. That’s it. Noise and and vibration. Evert hint els3 will likely be FAR superior. And as I’ve said many, many times I get that and have enjoyed that. But at least be up front that you just need a loud, tuned exhaust to make it “better”

Note that most expensive cars don’t have the vibration issues, just the tuned noise.
That's not a small part of a sports car experience, though. You don't see people hating on Formula 1, but talk about Formula E and you can see some people disgruntling. I will leave you to connect the dots.

You also talk like you live a quarter-mile at a time with the whole "EV performance is better." I mean, I get that performance is important, but there is a reason why people like cars like Miata. It's not the best in terms of performance, but if you have never driven one, I feel bad for you. You have to understand that fun and performance are not necessarily tied together. They don't tend to be mutually exclusive but that can happen.

The true irony is that even at open tracking days where car performance can matter, people are there for the experience and the fun, not "my horse is bigger than yours." There are all kinds of cars there, all from different performance categories. If EV floats your boat and can bring you that experience, absolutely, but not everyone is like that.

And a little bit of vibration isn't a bad thing for a car like a Camaro SS. It's supposed to be raw and brute. That's what American V8 means to me.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 10-17-2021 at 07:03 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote