View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Dude I'm a full blown addict that's my problem. I keep getting thrown all this random nonsense that I "need". I literally have like 4 layers of protection, hand washing with clean soft pads and towels and I still have swirls

I'm even considering a stage 1 paint correction for 800 and a 3 layer ceramic coating for 1500 and they said swirls could still appear. What is the point of all of this?
I think you’re getting to the stage like I was. I had shelves full of stuff and was talked into “layering” - adding this and then adding that. Over the last five years I’ve used three different ceramic coatings, multiple polymers, multiple SIO two products etc. and when I got done I didn’t have any greater gloss than what I have now. Finishing polish with a random orbital once a year takes out any of the swirls I care about.

It almost became like phil hartman's “the anal retentive chef” on SNL, that is, throwing away garbage, then putting it in a Ziploc , then putting that in a Ziploc etc. etc.

the detailers want you to lay on a base coat then protect that with a sealant then protect that with blah blah blah, etc etc

I no longer buy that line of thinking… A good wash and sealants all I do in my car as always look immaculate…In fact I have broken down to the blasphemous procedure of using a touchless carwash, then wiping it down with something like Meguires Hydro ceramic spray while it’s still wet and then drying the car ....do it every couple months -15 minutes and I’m done.

The only place that I will still use fancy stuff like coatings is on the wheels, because it does make it easier to clean them, but that’s only once every couple years.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote