View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doin It For Dale View Post
The updated LT1 is not going to make more power than the LS7, from what I've been told on the vette forums; but it may match it. If the Z/28 happens as a 2021 model year car, it would likely be in the final year of the 6th gen. Not only that, but the twin-turbo DOHC V8's for the Corvette will be ready by then. I wonder if it's possible for Al and the team to get a 7th gen Z/28 ready to go for the 1st model year of the 7th generation. THAT is how you beat the S650 GT500/350. Then release the 1LE's the next year and the ZL1 a year later. Two years later, refresh the cars and improve the Z/28.

Timing is everything in today's market, so introducing the Z/28 at the wrong time could yield a lack of sales for a second generation in a row...

I agree with you for the most part but since the 6th Gen will continue through MY 2021 (confirmed by documents) I think it would make perfect sense to release a Z/28 as MY2021 to finish the life cycle of the 6th Gens. Also releasing the Z/28 in the first model year of the 7th Gen would be a horrible idea, I definitely agree that timing is very important when it comes to releasing different versions of cars, but that plays against your argument, car companies wait to release the higher models until later in the life cycle of their cars for a reason.

And to the point of the Mid-Engine Vette there is a good chance that the cars (well at least on of them) that were videoed ripping around the Ring last wing were equipped with the 5.5L TT V8. So even if that engine isn't available immediately upon release for MY2020 it may show up before then end of it, and will definitely be there for MY2021, so who's to say a 2021 Z/28 can't get an N/A version of that? Or if we are being really bold and Chevy has decided they aren't going to stick with N/A for the Z/28 instead of the LT5 they could just put the TT V8 in it.....