View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I'd like to know how many ppl have actually shut their car off with their knee? I haven't heard of anyone here who has and has complained about it. Of course Im not on the forum 24/7, but I'd think I'd have crossed that thread if it was that big an issue. I don't have a problem so my keys are staying as they were.
There was a member on here who actually did shut his car off by hitting it with his knee and crashed his car. I don't think its very realistic for the majority of people, because the guy showed a video outlining how it happened in his fixed car, he was about 6'3" and literally sitting with his chest against the steering wheel. I have never seen anyone drive like that. But if you look closely he didn't "bump" the key rather than turn it, his knee contacted the backside of the key fob and rotated it to the off position. I would bet that if he did the exact same experiment with the new fob, he would get the exact same result cause if your knee is close enough to turn the fob, it should be close enough to turn the new key.

There is nothing wrong with the ignition, hence the reason for not switching out the actual ignition unlike the other recalls. A real fix would be rotating the ignition so that the resting position of the key when running is not horizontal, hence no lever for your knee to rotate if it contacts it. It woulds simply jam the key upwards keeping it in the same position (assuming that you didn't hit it with enough force to actually damage something).

I'm 6'2" and I would need to be a gymnast or sitting with my chest hitting the horn to actually hit the key.

Bottomline keep your keys, gm is just trying cover their butts.