View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
dbuck11

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LS
Talking New tires on my 2013 LS, what to do about the speed governor?

As a to myself birthday gift (yesterday) I just got some brand new tires and rims. I'm so happy to get rid of the awful steelies that have been sitting on my car (no offense to anyone with them, I had them on my car for 2 years, we both know that they're ugly). My new tires are Falken Azenis all seasons with a W speed rating (W= rated for 168mph). I have no intent to go anywhere over 100 on a populated road but I am looking forward to going to the track for the first time when summer comes around. Currently there is a speed governor at 118mph which exists because of the stock tire rating. I asked the place that put on my new tires if they could remove the limiter but they apologized and told me that they are only a tire place and don't have the ability to do anything to my cars computer.

I have read lots of thread on this forum where the OP gets bashed for being immature, but I genuinely have no interest in speeding that fast on public roads. I'm not trying to die and I absolutely wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt someone else.

Currently I understand that I can get a 300-400 dollar tune to remove the limiter. Can I afford a $400 tune? Yes. Do I want to pay $400 just to remove a speed limiter? Not if I don't have to.

Is there any way I can do it myself? I have computer programming experience in Java and Python, although I doubt that really gets me anywhere.

If I do have to resort to paying a few hundred dollars to tune my car, what else does that do to me, I certainly hope $300-$400 gets me a little more than changing a few lines of code to take off a speed limiter.

For anyone interested the new rims are Touren TR60's and the tires are Falken Azenis FK450 A/S 245/55R18W

Anyways just looking for some input and thanks in advance!

Also it's dark out now but I'll try to get a pic of my car tomorrow with her new shoes on
dbuck11 is offline   Reply With Quote