View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 02:17 AM   #11
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
To add some additional insight: Regarding the boots, when I went to order parts a few months ago for mine, I could not source the GM boots easily. They were quite a bit backordered. Maybe they aren't anymore. It may actually have been due to the supplier, Hutchinson having some fire in one of their plants. So I ended up ordering the EPDM boots from RB (pieced together the seals, otherwise the entire RB kit is expensive and you get more than you need). I almost went with the RB silicone boots, but 1. if you get any brake fluid on them, it will destroy the seals and 2. the reviews I read on them, it didn't seem that they were an upgrade worth the hassle. To not get fluid on the boots, you not only have to be very meticulous on how clean your hands are and all surfaces, but if you aren't using the proper brake part lube, instead of brake fluid/regular brake assembly lube, on the pistons/seals upon assembly, it's nearly impossible to not get whatever assembly lube you are using onto the boots through piston assembly/insertion.
To add some insight as someone that is actually using the RB boots, it was not an issue during assembly if you follow the instructions and has not been an issue during regular use and doing brake fluid bleeds etc. The benefits are they have not melted. I have not tried changing boots like RUQWIKR mentioned so don't know what's involved there. Some of mine were melted so bad it was hard to get all the old dust boot material out.