Thread: Tremec fluid
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Never tried the Tremec fluid as it's fairly new but I have run Royal Purple, Mobil1 Syn ATF (recommended by Tremec) and Redline D4. The stock fluid was borderline useless when the temps dipped into the 30's, I read a ton and Royal Purple was mentioned the most so off to Amazon. The RP was an immediate improvement and I never really thought about it again, fast forward 13K miles and the RP must have sheared out of grade because I was starting to feel gears. For fun I went with the Mobil1 ATF and it was smooth as glass in every gear but 1-2 and 2-1 it would balk. Next up Redline D4, better than the Mobil1 but still cranky in 1-2 (either direction). After a few thousand miles I put the RP back in and it is definitely the best of the above IMHO, if I have to swap it every 12K I'm OK with that. Transmission fluid is subjected to severe shear, I base my motorcycle oil changes on gear feel. I'm interested in feedback of the Tremec fluid though, 25K on the car now.
I swapped out the original fluid at about 11,500 miles as 1-2 was notchy and selecting 1st at a light was getting annoying. Went with the Royal Purple and the trans was smooth again, then as the miles added up it started to get notchy. Swapped out to Valvoline Dexron fluid at about 25,000 and it all smoothed out again. Getting up into the mid 30k and it's getting that feeling again.

Looks like a 12 mo/12,000 mile trans fluid interval on the schedule.