View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'm not a fan of the jack stand points used in that video. It may work, but the spots he's using aren't specifically designed to support the vehicle like that. I'm personally leery about doing that with newer cars where the chassis structure is more "optimized" to only support loads in their intended direction for weight reduction. Not worth the risk of a damaged unibody structure IMO.

GM's service manual lists only the pinch welds along the side as suitable jacking points for our cars. Base cars can also use the steel cross-brace that runs under the engine, but Camaros with the aluminum cross-brace can't.

Since the lift pads are really only useful for lifting with a hoist or quick-jacks and are a tire-shredding hazard otherwise (if they fall off while driving), I'd suggest pulling them and using jack stands on the pinch welds and then bolting them back on before using a hoist or taking it somewhere that will use one. Alternatively, you could order a set of flat-top jack stands or rig up a puck adapter for your current jack stands, but those won't necessarily be as stable as using the pinch welds directly when using a floor jack to lift one side at a time.