View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
Yeah, I guess I could have worded that better. I meant Toyota couldn't boast the most brands on the list, GM has four because of Chevy and GMC being tied for 10th.
But aside Chrysler-Fiat, nobody else even has more than 3 brands on JD Power's dependability list. That makes it kinda hard for the companies with only 1 or 2 brands to be able to lay claim to having the 'most brands in the top 10'

If you want to compare on a corporate level, you could take the average of their brands scores (relatively simple). Or, if you wanted a fairly accurate picture you could look up what each brand sold from August 2011 through July 2012 (approximately the 2012 model year that JD power is looking at) and use that data to do a volume-weighted average. Multiply the brands reliability by its sales volume then add up all of a companies brands & divide by companies total volume. That should give a pretty clear picture as to which company has the most reliable cars & trucks. It won't be perfect, but its a lot more meaningful than counting how many brands it has in the top 10. If you did all that, GM would probably be 4th behind Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes-Benz but ahead of 9(?) other companies.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote