View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I would assume the convertible top has SOMETHING to do with the difference as well. Sound quality is much more involved than simply having a "good" head unit, amp, speakers, etc. The environment in which the sound is heard can have a major impact on the perceived quality.
Yep, two fewer speakers… open air driving (for the most part) and I think I read somewhere that GM fools around with the frequency range top up and down (so, yes tuning most definitely has a lot to do with it) The bass response is pretty poor… you can play with the equalizer and the volume to make a song sound “ok”. Then another song comes on, and you’re way out of range of what the system can reasonably handle. The vert needs a subwoofer in a big way (thats a starting point). I will say that the Bose is light years better than my 2016 1SS vert. That stereo was truly an embarrassment (worst I’ve had in any car since the 1980’s) . Cranked up, I could barely hear it at highway speed w/ extremely poor separation. I added an amp, new rear side speakers with a line side converter and improved the experience 50%.

I’ve been in Porsche, BMW, and Audi convertibles… which sound pretty good. Granted, they’re higher end cars. The way I see it, there’s no reason that a Chevy convertible should sound so feeble / lack power and range in comparison….Other than it’s just not a priority for the bean counters and sound engineers.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote