View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Jesus my eyes hurt reading all this sh!t. You people are like internet fire starters. Sure TECHNICALLY a dealer can deny any warranty claim on a modified part. But there is no such thing as voiding a warranty and whatnot. There are laws against this. They can do what I said, and deny a warranty claim.

But there are plenty of mod friendly dealers out there. You just need to inquire with whatever service writer you will be dealing with. When I had my C6, it had a complete blower kit, tune and headers. I brought that car in several times for warranty work of all kinds. The tech was a car guy and was able to decide if a modded part of the car caused a failure of another part. As well as my service writer was honest with me about what they would cover and not. If it was something that was questionable, they would look at it and if it was not covered because it was directly related to the kit, then I would pay out of pocket.

But there was never any warranty voiding. They just wouldnt cover it. Not a huge deal. Some dealers are not as friendly. Just call ahead and talk to someone.

A simple tune is not a big deal, and shouldnt stop you from getting just about any warranty work done on most of the drivetrain and the rest of the car. Just know they can deny the claim and you will be on the hook for the diagnosis fee as well as the parts/labor.

You and the others may want to take the time to really read the Magnusson Moss warranty act. Nothing in it states that you can mod and or tune a vehicle and the burden of the proof is on the manufacture or dealer to prove that modification caused the failure.

it actually states that if you change your oil as an example and use a Fram filter and Pennzoil oil and the engine takes a dump that as long as the replacement parts meet or exceed the OE design specs that the burden is on the manufacture to prove using those parts caused the failure of the engine.

It says nothing and protects nothing about increasing horsepower or tuning the vehicle. If you get into the ECM/TCM/FPCM and tune them, yep as Ted says you own it and you are responsible for it now.

Now with that if the AC goes out, sure a tuned engine wont keep the AC from being fixed. If your tuned engine dies, or the transmission takes a crap or you grenade the rear diff then yes the dealer and GM have the option of denying the claim and putting the cost of repairs onto the owner.

If you dont want to pay, my suggestion is to not tune the vehicle then.

With that to answer the OP's question, no there is not way around the tuning issue now with the new Global GM system. The ECM logs a flash counter every time the ECM is flashed. Even if you tune back to stock and the CVN numbers match the original CVN number the ECM flash counter will be tripped and there is no way to reset or get around that issue. GM knows exactly how many times the ECM/TCM/FPCM was or has been flashed, it is logged in their system. So when they show the flash counter should be at say "4" and you show up and it says "25" they will know something is up.

Now if they ask the dealership to gather that much info depends on what the repair is about on the car. I took my tuned 2016 GMC Sierra 6.2/A8 into the dealership with a misfire code that pointed to a bad DI injector. The tech knew my truck was tuned and GM still covered the repair bill. The tech said unless you come in with a piston out of the side of the block that GM typically will cover the repairs unless the tech pushes the issue of the vehicle being tuned.

In closing if you want to tune your vehicle, I would make damn sure your dealership, the service writer and techs are mod friendly otherwise you may be taking care of any repair bills.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote