View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #84
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I find it interesting that nobody has posted pix of valves WITH catch cans Besides, folks, this is Internet...this 3rd pic of coked valve is oh so VERRRY scary but exactly what motor did it come out from? With how many miles? What year? What country? Etc. Etc. Etc. The other 2 pix are inconclusive at best, not showing much detail and taken with different light exposure. Opening up a motor at 20k sounds like an "interesting" proposition to start with. But that's off topic.
You want real life feedback? Go speak to a Silverado fleet owner. Or your C7 buddy with 100,000 miles on it. Or visit your local race track. Or speak to your GM dealer mechanic assuming you know one.

LT1 has been around for a long time now given when C7 first came out. Want to check if coking is causing issues with LT1/LT4 - i highly recommend Corvette Forum

Additionally, there are millions of GM trucks with GDI motors, many of them piling up tons of miles, often in severe duty. I know a few folks that use GM trucks for work, hauling etc. Ive had 2 myself, including my current Tahoe with substantial mileage with zero issues. But i change oil/filter every 3100 miles in all my vehicles (at 50% indicator). Because all oils degrade with use. Best insurance to keep a healthy motor i know of.

I track my 1le often. I am yet to add ANY oil between changes. ANY decrease/increase of oil will be shown on a dip stick. The idea that it would take a minimim of 1 quart is completely off base.

And here is my own experience with a catch can: i had tracked my c5z for over 10yrs without one. I had to add oil but only sometimes. The motor ran strong and issue free. In a last year, we opened it up to take a peek (all was perfect) and got talked into installing a catch can. Well, it was sure catching tons! And i had to empty it weekly. But, so what? I can draw zero benefit conclusions here other than my wallet was lighter and now i had an extra task to perform. I know, not a GDI motor, yet catch cans have been around for a looong time...

Quality of oil and change intervals, quality of gasoline, operating temps, etc will all have a direct affect. Use common sense, apply best practices to your driving (and storing) habits and enjoy your car! But if CC makes you sleep better at night then do it. Just keep in mind a CC is not a "magic" solution to GDI motor designs by any means, as many other factors will play a big role here.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote