View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 03:52 AM   #321
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
Nah, not true. There's significant thresholds in (at least the 6L80/90e series) where they won't downshift and rev the motor over say 5k rpm in circumstances where TC is also doing its thing, or other circumstances where (for example) in a manual you could do a skip shift of going from 2nd to 5th or 6th on your own - if the auto thinks the road speed is too low for the gear, it will similarly deny that.
I have yet to experience this in the A10 that is in the ZL1.
Quote:
I'd love to drive one but sadly Chevy dealers think a $60-70k car is somehow a priceless exotic and I haven't found a local joint willing to toss me the keys yet. Interestingly a few years back I convinced a local dealer to let me drive a SS 1LE that hadn't even fully gone through PDI (I think it had 3 miles when I got in it) that I took up into our foothills, and between that + a rental 6th gen SS (auto, 8 speed) I flogged in a hill climb after my V's front main seal died I'm pretty sure I have some performance context in the Alpha platform from which to draw upon.
And rightly so. This isn't a priceless exotic, but it also isn't a base model Camry either. It is a very expensive car and the top trim Camaro. They aren't gonna let you test drive one unless you are already approved for the financing and it is all signed for or you put down a sizable down payment and are definitely interested in buying one. Even then the test drive will be to make sure the vehicle you'll be driving home is mechanically sound. They don't want people going for joyrides. And they also don't want sincere buyers seeing 300 miles on a brand new $70K vehicle. So you gotta understand your chances to test drive one are very slim. Maybe if the dealership was having trouble moving a particular ZLE and were desperate to get you to sign they'd offer a test drive. But not likely.

BTW, the SLE you test drove...did you buy it? If not then that is why they don't just let people test drive the ZL1.
Quote:
Unless the 10 speed is telepathic and programmed with BMW M-series levels of aggressive preemptive downshifts while braking (call me skeptical) I suspect it's still going to be a day late and a dollar short in many scenarios, however, I'd love to be proven wrong.
The A10 IS telepathic. At least it seems like it is. This thing predicts what you're gonna do and it has an instantaneous response time. Any little input into the throttle and the trans is ready to slam your head back into the cushion. And I'd put my money that the A10 in the ZL1 is on par with the best transmissions on the planet. Seriously, the trans makes this car what it is. I would not have bought it if it did not have the A10 and now that I do have one (standard ZL1 that is) I can say it was worth it. If you somehow think that the A10 will not live up to your expectations then I gotta tell ya, you're wrong.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote