View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 AM   #28
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Back in the day EVERY hot rod guy ran the truck filter on their SBC car.

I did the same thing on my 71 Nova and the little womans' 78 Camaro.

I have a bigger filter off the D-max on my 03 8.1L C2500hd because the factory filter looks like a thimble. (And it makes easier to have the same filter since I have a D-max K3500 too)

Why do we do it?

Extra filtration and added external surface area helps cool the oil. When the filter gets plugged, it blows the bypass and unfiltered oil goes in the motor. Not a great idea. Problem is, you don't know if you did it. There isn't any code thrown for it. No indicator. NADA.

The factory has to get thru the 3 year/36k warranty period. They have to keep costs down. They have environmental regulations they have to design for.

All this means is maybe the filter is engineered on the small side. Especially when you're used to seeing 1/2qt filter (let alone a 1qt, or sometimes 2qt) screwed on the block.
It's better to have a little more filtration area. It sure can't hurt.

It has absolutely nothing to do with increasing oil change intervals or "low pressure bypass (whatever the @^&*% that means).

To those that want a full engineering analysis on why someone wants to better protect their engine, my recommendation is you do what you want with your toy. If you don't like the idea of a bigger filter, fine. Don't be judgey on those of us who do.

Thanks DM for taking the time to figure that out!
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote