View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #30
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Thanks. It does look a bit intimidating, but doable. I'll just plan to go really slowly and not break any clips. Do you know where to get those clips? Like you said, might be a good idea to have a few on hand just in case. How difficult are the A Pilar covers? Those seem easier except for the airbag bungee cords that I know NOT to cut like one guy did on a video I watched. Do the A Pilar covers even need to come all the way off? I know all I need is to get to the one bolt that holds the cover over the speaker.
I'm sure the dealership has those plastic push pin things. If you have more time, maybe some of the discounted GM online supply places have them. To avoid breaking them, locate each one and put the fork of the trim tool around it before levering it out. FWIW, I wasn't very good at than and the telltale sign is that a lot of my pins were left in the door. But they still didn't break.

The A-pillar covers are just removed for the dash speaker replacement, of course. They only have two attachments, but they are in there pretty tight. I fretted over those more than the door panels. I mostly just pulled them off because I didn't see a good way to use the trim tools at the attachments. But because of that, when they came off, they came out too far and messed up the mics in there. One was reusable, but I had to replace the other. Luckily they are very cheap. You saw my picture of the clip that holds the bungee cord to the trim piece, right? Just wedge that open and remove it. You probably don't absolutely have to take it all the way out, but it would be a lot more of PITA if you don't.

There's one bolt for the speaker cover on the drivers side, and that's a small cover that pops right off. The passenger is only one bolt too (IIRC), but the cover goes across almost the entire rest of the dash (it covers the center speaker for the Bose system). It takes a little more finagling, but isn't really tough to remove. One of the dash speakers is easy enough to unbolt with just a 1/4" ratchet and 7mm socket. The other (I think it was the driver's side) requires an open or box-end 7mm wrench to get the bolt by the windshield. No big deal: just go 1/4-1/3 turn at a time, and have patience, and you'll get it out in a minute or two.