View Single Post
Old 07-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #106
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
Good to know. That will save a bit of money. I understand some pads can't be switched on the same rotor because of material left behind.

And yes, I saw Krispy's lap on the best times list! Six seconds faster than my best so there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. Maybe we'll start a fix my driving thread

I'll be at GP on Monday. Hope to see more Chevys!
I never had any issues trying different compounds on same rotors for track duty: heat cleans them up nicely.

Do not split pad torque F vs R as the car's braking system and handling balance is designed for the same pad all around. If you put a higher torque in F they will do more work and heat up faster plus the car balance will be affected towards understeer, which is not desirable. Some super fast guys here (Krispy, Eric etc) use the same pad all around. Stock pad is very capable and runs fairly cool.

High torque pads absolutely produce more heat, especially on tracks with short straights incapable of sufficiently cooling them (DDT, TMP, etc). Been there done it and had 4 wheels smoking and almost carching fire. Not recommended 😀

Chris still runs stocker pads btw, albeit for super fast laps he runs DTC60s. Eric did the same. However, do not look for higher torque pads to shave seconds off your lap. They can help achieve a small gain when one fights for 10ths but not seconds.

Especially at Mosport, momentum is king and braking is not a high priority to fast laps. Maximizing high average speed in very long corners like 2, 4 and 8 plus to some extent 1 as well (many folks way overslow entry speed there) will gain you the most time. Plus focus on good exit off of 3 and 5 and good flow in the esses.

Corners to pay attention to:

2 - ensure you're under maintenance throttle all the time while cornering down hill to keep the balance stable. If you lift there you will meet the left concrete wall head on.

3 - some folks lose rear on exit here, especially when going wide on exit and touching grass. Then then meet the right wall head on.

4 - do not break for this corner, only a slight lift then power before apex to keep the rear stable and car balanced.

9 - surprisingly, most folks come off here! The key is not to pinch the exit off of this corner, as if you do and the rears lose it the consequences are always severe. The key is to allow the car to drift to mid track or so on exit vs keeping it tight.

It is all about ability to FEEL what the car is doing balance wise. If you're not at that stage yet, take small bites and do not push too hard.

Have fun! Cheers
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote