View Single Post
Old 07-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #103
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
I have had issues with overheating and and fading with my current set of pads, GLOC R16 / R12.

My home track is Mosport where I run the GP and DDT for those familiar. I want to be able to brake hard into 5 and 8 all day without worrying if the brakes will be there.

Reading through this, I think I was sold on a much too aggressive friction compound, probably with the intention of reducing stopping distance but at the cost of way more heat.

In other cars changing from stock pads was mandatory but it sounds like I should give the stock SS1LE pads a go or the DS1.11.

I have the original rotors tucked away with very low mileage. Is it ok to use the DS1.11 on a rotor that was street driven with the OEM pad?
You can switch back and forth between Ferodo pads without issue, I use 3.12 and OEM (HP1000). I was told OEM pads would have a very short life as operating temps would be exceeded, so I save them for street and autox. 3.12 have been great, takes a few stops to warm up but they seem to warm up at about the same rate as the OEM SC3 tires, no issues driving on the street to/from the track either.

I'm not sure a more aggressive pad will generate more heat, a certain amount of energy is required to slow the car and that is turned into heat by the brakes. Pad compound may make some difference but there's no getting around this basic kinetic energy > heat conversion. I'd check to make sure the ducting and scoop on the control arms are all in place and working properly, fresh fluid, etc. first. It's also really easy to install CT5V control arm scoops, I just did on my car, but apparently they are hard to get, order and wait... They are 2-3x the size of stock SS 1LE scoops.