View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #30
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
My favorite story about AAA is having a dead battery at a rest stop on the NY Thruway late at night. I called AAA, and they said "We don't do the Thruway. They have their own road service so here's their number. Call them. I did. No answer. Apparently the Thruway keeps regular business hours.

Then I remembered the old trick of turning on the headlights for 30 seconds to stimulate the battery. I got the car started...just barely, and got the battery replaced in the morning.

If I'de had a flat, I would have been stuck until the next morning...with wife and kids, BTW.

So...my advice is, if you have a garage queen and the drag strip is around the corner, then fine, get rid of the run-flats. Otherwise, don't.

I have carried a full sized spare strapped down in the trunk of my Gen5, but I understand the Gen6 doesn't have the steel tie downs and maybe a full sized tire doesn't even fit.

When this pandemic shit is over and I resume road trips in my Gen5, I'm gonna throw some run flats on it.
Well that doesn't sound like a great story for AAA, but I certainly would never gauge my choice on one experience. I'll stick with my cell and AAA. I won't run, run flats... and beside that, what if you have an issues that isn't a tire, like your battery or something else. You are still going to have to rely on someone... AAA, Cops, Wrecker, etc... What good is a run flat when the issue is not a flat tire. In your scenario, I would have called the police station if I couldn't have got my car started. I certainly wouldn't have sat there all night.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote