View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Crazy idea: What if GM took Camaro6 members almost as serious as their own techs?

I know this one is probably going to get blown away and is probably 100% unrealistic but this hypothetical idea has been on my mind for a moment.

The main cause of the matter is that, Several GM dealerships out there havent a slight clue about the product that they sell or service where as we as enthusiast have dug fairly deep about the mechanics of these machines. Now this isn't to say that everyone here outsmarts GM's master techs, no.. but it is to say that...I'm fairly confident with some of the technical knowledge we see on this forum that a good few people at minimum know alot more about these vehicles than GM gives us credit for.

GM of course has to follow a process and the process is to verify an issue with a TSB or recall or replicate an issue before any warranty related issues can be resolved. What my proposal is, is not to bypass said process, but to be incorporated into it.

What if certain Camaro6 members were able to "verify issues" on the 6th Gen and these issues be posted on a known issues bulletin on the forum, kind of like the warranty / recall section we have.. Then for a fee (probably donated by members) Camaro6 becomes a business partner with GM and their technical engineering team - these issues would be verified between the two teams and if considered legit, a TSP / recall / or repair process could be made for such issue - this time originating from a community of several users who have experienced and confirmed the presence of said issue instead of waiting for GM to acknowledge it as an issue.

The process would work something like this.
Example:
-- Your heated seats start malfunctioning intermittently
-- You take it to Chevrolet, go figure - the heated seats are working currently and Chevrolet cannot duplicate the issue thus send you home packing with no repair and cold seats.
-- You find several members on Camaro6 have run into the same issue thus you post your issue in the specified forum and reference the other posts you find about it on this forum.
-- This post is looked over by technical Camaro6 members and GM engineers to determine if there's enough evidence to conclude that you may indeed have a issue.
-- If so, GM authorizes the replacement of the most probable cause of the failure, and works from there if that does not work. (the probably cause will likely be explained in one of the aforementioned posts referenced in your thread.)
-- Said partnership is maintained by donations as to allow our opinions make more of an impact to GM.

Yeah I know...complete rainbow theory where unicorns fly... but I had to ask...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote