View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
I can tell you that I have been extremely disappointed with the 888Rs on my ZL1 1LE. They have better cold grip that the 3Rs but they were like ice skates at operating temp. I tried a wide array of hot tire temps from 32-39 psi and the car was always a handful. I went back to the 3Rs and letting them warm up first before going hard I was able to shave 6 seconds off my lap times at Sebring on the same weekend. Lap times went from 2:26-2:28s to 2:20-2:22s. The car was much more stable and I wasn't fighting the car at all during the laps. The 3Rs also gave me good grip through 2 days where the 888Rs would be ok for most of the first day and then really fall off the second day. Maybe they are better for straight line launches but I wouldn't recommend them for road course or track use.

And yes, they are VERY noisy.

Interesting I rarely hear of the Toyos letting anyone down. But everyone has there preferences for which tire seemed to personally hook better for them. Bob down the street could have luck hooking better with the R888Rs while Tommy next door seems to hook better with a MT or a Nitto. It's almost like supplements in a sense that everyone's body chemistry is different and what supplement works for one person may not work for the other person. Maybe not the best analogy but you get what I'm saying. I think it's a matter of seeing how the Toyos work for my car and if not then try something else. But if the Toyos really hook good well then I guess don't fix it if it's not broken.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote