View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #17
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
The reason I run a true slick is that they don't shock the drive train like a drag radial. Remember the sidewall on a drag radial is more like a street tire the hooks hard at the track. I've not broken any parts so far with the slicks and hopefully I won't even with another 50 to 60 rwhp this year. I could have gotten more runs out of the slicks but I was ready to add more power and thought I'd start off with new slicks this year. I actually had over 140 runs total, 130 or so with the supercharger. Can't beat that in my opinion.
Yeah, I get that. Flexing releases the energy more gradually. I remember some of your posts from early last year describing the difference. Are you running bias ply or radial slicks? I'm sticking with radial construction because I don't want to have to buy a separate set of wheels & bias ply tires for the front. I've driven cars with mixed bias/radial street tires before and it's not stable.

It's been tough finding slicks to fit my wheel size, though. I might have gone with a 27" tire but there's not a lot of choices for me in height and tread width. I'm going to make the best of what I've got for now. I've got a feeling I'll be seeing improved 60' times on these Hoosiers, though.

Wow! 140 runs could span 2 seasons. You must not do extended burnouts, huh?

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote